Sunday, June 3, 2007

What makes us different

Welcome back.

In the previous post I posed the question "What makes Millenials different, special?" It was somewhat of a rhetorical question, we're all individuals, and I don't believe that we can really quantify all of the different aspects that make us special. Having said that, there are some traits that can be generalized to the Millenial population as a whole.

  • We're Moral, non-judgemental. Our parents tended to raise us to be accepting and open minded. We're generally not racist or sexist or homophobic. This sometimes comes back to bite the older generations in the ass. They raised us to it, but oftentimes tended to look upon it with a "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Take Don Imus, for instance. Many boomers found him funny, and sniggered at his comments. Me, I just fout his jokes pathetic and biggoted.
  • We're connected. Oh yes, you know you are. I check for my cellphone before I check for my wallet and keys, every time I leave the house. We use IM's, Email, Skype, VOIP to keep in touch. Many of us Blog, or read Blogs, and the net is the first place we turn to for our news. We're in touch with the world, ALL of the world.
  • We're big! Well, our generation is, personally I'm a massive 5'6". There are more of us than almost any other generation. Because most of our parents were baby boomers (the biggest generation in history) there are more of us than any other generation also. This means we have -power- my friends. Just think for a moment, about how much the Baby Boomers shaped the world as they moved through it as a generation. They wrough change on a massive scale, and most of it happened simply because there were so damn many of them. Well, there are a lot of us too.
Not a bad list of qualities to have really, if I do say so myself. It's a promising start for us, at least.
-Bedeo